Here's the general overview:
- Chilling in Halong Bay
- First Time in a Ghost Town
- Getting in Some Beach Time
- Trying New Foods (always!)
- Finding a Pho Beer
- And Much More!
Đi thôi! (Let's go!)
Chilling in Halong Bay
First and foremost, Halong Bay was recommended to me by several friends and it did not disappoint. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site which means it is "of outstanding universal value." It is quite incredible to see all of the amazing limestone islands and it's especially great to see the caves inside of them.
The picture above is a great example of what the bay is like but it spreads far and wide. When Scott and I jumped on a boat to cruise through it, the boat cruised through island after island for an hour to get to our first destination which was a cave inside of one of the islands.
The cave had three chambers in it and each one was bigger than the one before. It was really amazing to see what can be formed by mother nature over the course of millions of years.
That's my, "whoa this is incredible" face. I think that's Scott's too.
After the cave, we went to a really cool island that opened up into a hidden oasis that had monkeys and all kinds of wildlife in it. I didn't snag a photo but it was really serene and quite beautiful.
Afterward, we took off and headed for an island dedicated to a Vietnamese General that had a stellar view from the top.
Afterward, we took off and headed for an island dedicated to a Vietnamese General that had a stellar view from the top.
Although I had just done leg day, I told myself, "another ~500 steps doesn't scare me!" At least that's what I thought before starting the ascent. Halfway through I regretted the decision but once I made it to the top, I was back on board with my initial decision. There was a 360 degree view and it was absolutely stunning. The islands popping out of the water are all unique and it's easy to get lost in thought as you stare into a seemingly endless horizon full of them.
Afterward, we got on the boat and headed back to the harbor around sunset. It was a nice ride and a great view. Here is a video of what we were looking at on the way back in:
Weeks before we arrived in Halong Bay, Scott and I snagged a deal on a great hotel and I got the best balcony in the whole place! Here was my view during the day:
It was quite the scene to wake up to and the best part was that boats passed by every few minutes. I would go down to the lobby around 7:30am and grab some coffee then bring it back up to my room to enjoy the view. It was a great way to start each day and it's a view that would be hard to get sick of.
It was also a fantastic view during the evening as the sun sets just on the other side of the water. It was a perfect time to reflect on the day and to take notice of another revolution of this planet.
First Time in a Ghost Town
Besides all of the boat traffic, Halong Bay turned out to be a ghost town! Originally I thought it was due to the fact that it was the off season so there weren't many tourists around. However, I eventually found out that the biggest population of tourists are from China and Korea... Unfortunately, both of those countries happen to be on lock down at the moment due to the Corona Virus.
Because of that, there wasn't much that was open in the part of Halong Bay I was staying in. However, it did have one cool restaurant and bar that was open daily from morning til night and they had a great salad I kept going back for.
Any guesses as to what kind of meat is on top?!
If you guessed cow tongue, then yup! You're absolutely right! I feel like it was a bit serendipitous as I had mentioned it in my last post and lo and behold, I found it the next day at a restaurant. The salad was really great and the view from the bar was awesome too.
Due to the place being a ghost town, it was actually kind of nice to not have to compete with mobs of people. I'm sure that the businesses weren't too happy about it but as a tourist, it was a lovely opportunity.
Getting in Some Beach Time
I absolutely love the beach and every time I get a chance, I jump in the water. I wasn't sure what the temperature of the water was going to be like so I took the plunge and checked it out for myself.
The water was really nice and quite refreshing on a hot day. Had there been some waves, I would have done some body surfing but alas, a quick dip was all I got!
It was nice to take a stroll down the beach and enjoy the sound of the water. Because I'm from Colorado, I really appreciate any and all time I get to spend near beaches and water as we don't have much of that in Denver or the surrounding areas. It's a special treat for me whenever I get to spend some time in the sand so I was grateful for the experience.
As the weekend came to a close, Scott and I caught a ride back into Hanoi and said goodbye to the world wonder that is Halong Bay.
Verdict: If you get a chance, you HAVE to go. The scenery is beautiful, there's a casino in one of the hotels and there is a local beer called Bia Halong which is really delightful.
Trying New Foods
I've been eating so many new foods that I never knew existed and it's been a delight. I am very thankful to have made some good local friends that can show me some of their favorite dishes and restaurants. This week I tried a dish I'd been meaning to try called bánh xèo.
Bánh xèo is kind of like a crepe or pancake that starts with a thin layer of fried batter that is then filled with meat and bean sprouts and then folded over like an omelette. This is what it looks like:
The first thought that came to mind was that I would just grab a slice, dip it in some fish sauce and boom - pop it right in. However, there is a process to eating bánh xèo that blew my mind! Let's take a look:
First and foremost, you grab a sheet of rice paper.
Second, throw in some lettuce and other leafy garnishes onto said rice paper.
Third, grab a slice of the bánh xèo and throw it on top of the lettuce.
Fourth, go to magician school and somehow magically wrap it all up in a neat roll to be consumed.
Here is how bánh xèo master-wrapper Thuy did it:
Here is how bánh xèo master-wrapper Thuy did it:
I intentionally did not take a video or picture of my work because it definitely left something to be desired (aka it was terrible). My first couple tries were pretty horrible but towards the end I made one or two decent rolls.
It's quite the experience and it is absolutely delicious. I'm always stoked when I find something new to try that I've never had before or even heard of. It's these kinds of experiences that always leave me in awe and push me to try more new things.
It's quite the experience and it is absolutely delicious. I'm always stoked when I find something new to try that I've never had before or even heard of. It's these kinds of experiences that always leave me in awe and push me to try more new things.
Verdict: I would definitely recommend bánh xèo to anyone and everyone! It comes with many different fillings including vegetarian fillings. It's a bit of effort, but doesn't food taste better when you work for it?
Finding a Pho Beer
I have recently been introduced to a few more craft breweries around town and it's really opened my eyes to Vietnam being a pretty big force in the craft brew scene. I originally hadn't expected it but I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and abundance of the craft beer out here.
At one said craft brewery I was looking through the menu and I noticed that there was a pho beer served in a bottle. I figured I had to give it a shot because when else would I have the chance? When in Rome, right?!
Right when I tried the first sip, I was floored. THE BEER TASTED LIKE PHO - but in a very pleasant way. It had the essences of pho nailed to a tee. I was with another local friend and she tried it and couldn't believe the taste! If the fact that a local thinks it tastes like pho doesn't sell it for you, I don't know what else could!
Verdict: You have to try it! Even if you're not a beer lover, I'm sure you would get a great kick out of trying a beer that tastes like pho. If you don't like it, you can grab one of the other awesome local craft beers they make which are more traditional styles.
Final Thoughts
I can't believe I'm leaving Vietnam in a week! Time is ABSOLUTELY FLYING! I quite enjoyed Thailand but I have to say that Vietnam has really made an impact on me. I've already decided that I'm 90% sure I'm coming back next winter to visit a different, smaller city right on the beach. I wouldn't mind a winter where it's always in the 70s, sunny and a I can get to the beach in two minutes...
This weekend is my first (and most likely only) gig in Vietnam this time around but I'm absolutely stoked for it! I've got some local friends coming and I'm excited to showcase a new original song that I've recently written.
I'm looking forward to being in Cambodia for a bit over a week after we leave here and see what treasures it holds. After that, it looks like I'll be headed to colder weather in Germany but I'm excited to get back and see friends and family that I've been missing since December. (Don't worry, I miss YOU too!)
I would encourage you to go try something new this weekend. Maybe hit that restaurant you've always wanted to try or making that dish that you've had your eye on. New experiences open up our minds to possibilities that we didn't know could exist until we try them. That's why I'm always eager to jump in head first to any opportunity that comes my way.
Until next time!
Tony G


No comments:
Post a Comment